Leeds Town Hall is classical in style but baroque in imaginative power and drama. It stands squarely at the top of a flight of steps. The whole facade is made of giant columns and all the sides reflect that pattern. The central portico has ten huge Corinthian columns. Plus, there is an immense frieze and rising above it all the central tower. Leeds Town Hall was built between 1853 and 1858 to a design by architect Cuthbert Brodrick.
Today one of the largest town halls in the UK, it was opened by Queen Victoria in 1858.
Leeds Town Hall (Photo by Bachmeier / Ramsthaler)
Formally known as the Cathedral Church of Saint Anne
More art than graffiti
Lush green park with Victorian statues
Monastery meets the Kaiser Chiefs
Tainted love and more: Leeds’ pioneers of Synthpop
One of the most popular English Indie bands
Formed in 1980 with roots in Gothic Rock and Post Punk
Indie and Alternative Rock from Leeds since early 2008
British Indie Rock from the Jarman brothers